Weekend Getaways Close to Los Angeles
If you have the travel bug like I do, then you're likely in a constant state of wanderlust. Searching online for cheap flights to the other side of the world, counting how many cans of tuna fish you can eat before you get sick because it's a cheap food option, drafting the email you have to send to your _____ (fill in the blank) explaining why you need to go on this once in a life time trip (that you hope to go on maybe 2 or 3 more times before you die.)
It's an addiction. But it's a wonderful one.
The downside? Unless you're a socialite or self made millionaire, it's likely that a monthly international trip just isn't in the budget. Dream all you want, there are still actual bills to pay and normal life to live.
Which is why I love a good weekend getaway. It can be inexpensive, time efficient, and you can explore the areas around you, which likely has hidden gems you never knew existed. Plus, it gets you out of your normal environment, which feels like an adventure and makes you feel good inside.
I currently live in Los Angeles, CA, so the options are preeettttty amazing. In less than 3 hours I an be in the mountains, an hour away is gorgeous Santa Barbara and if I'm in the mood for a desert trip, it's super close. This is why I will likely stay in California for the rest of my life.
Alright, enough chatting, let's get to the good stuff. Here are 5 awesome weekend getaways close to Los Angeles.
1) Lake Arrowhead - While a lot of people head to Big Bear during the winter months, theres a beautiful town called Lake Arrowhead that is not to be missed. Good food, good beer, and a lot more affordable than other locations in the San Bernadino mountains. Plus, if there ARE skiers in your group, they are only about 35 minutes away from the slopes!
2) Joshua Tree - If you're looking for a desert oasis, there is no better place than Joshua Tree. Camping, star gazing, great festivals and amazing artists live in the area. There are also a lot of wonderful wellness retreats that happen year round, which is an amazing way to refresh after a long week.
3) Santa Barbara - This beautiful seaside town is a top destination for many people, and for good reason. You have the ocean nearby, 5 star resorts if you are looking to splurge, and a beautiful community of families and young folks alike. There are some great camping options nearby too, which is awesome over the summer to save cash!
4) Ojai - Ojai recently suffered devastating loss due to wild fires and mudslides that happened earlier this year, but the resilient community is still a top weekend place to get away. Set in the valley in Topatopa Mountains this incredibly place is an epicenter for conscious living, self care, and beauty. Hot springs, art, and community. What more could you want?
5) Mammoth Mountain - Don't let the five hour drive deter you from making Mammoth Mountain a weekend getaway. You can easily leave after work on a Friday, enjoy a beverage late night, and then ski, snowboard, or snow shoe on Saturday and Sunday. The downtown area is adorable, there are reasonable lodging options everywhere, and it's also a beautiful spot for hiking and summer sports when the weather warms up.
So go for it! Take every moment you have for little adventures, even if it's only a couple hours from home and make it happen. There's a lot more world to explore than you can even imagine.